It’s been a good few weeks for news from the Marvel cinematic universe! So here’s what you need to know to get up to speed:
- Christopher Eccleston (aka the slightly northern Doctor Who) is replacing Mads Mikkelsen as Malekith the Accursed in Thor: The Dark World. We’re anticipating a whole bundle of crossover fanart.
- We’re finally getting the production dates on the development-helled Ant-Man project; it’s set to film in Marvel’s London production branch right after Thor. This will put it as the third major release in 2014. Responses have ranged from confused to “Ant-Man, haha he talks to ants” to pissed off that the Black Panther movie was shelved and not this, but I remain optimistic given the reaction to the test footage at Comic Con. After all, what better character to shake up the Movieverse status quo than a hero with a knack for failure? Also: Ultron.
- Yes, the Hulk TV show is still in production. However, they’re looking for a new writer apparently. I fear for this project.
- Marvel also recently released plans to bring a “high concept cop show” to the small screen, sans the marquee movie superheroes. Rumour has it, it’s probably S.H.I.E.L.D. I’m still waiting on my Heroes for Hire series personally, but could totally get behind 45 minutes a week of Agent Coulson doing his thing. Ultimate Spider-Man doesn’t quite deliver.
- Speaking of Ultimate Spider Man, Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes has wrapped up, but you’ll still be able to get your cartoon Avengers fix with Avengers Assemble, which will be following the movieverse closer. There’s no release date thus far, but we bet it’ll be on-screen the TV cycle after next. Seriously though, it took us how long to get the Vision, only to have the cartoon rebooted? Poor guy can’t get a break.
- The release date for the DVD and Blu-Ray collection for the Avengers is upon us (incidentally, if you haven’t seen why you’re going to need to pony up the money for the phase 1 limited edition, here you go)! In honour of the occasion, Marvel recently uploaded the Thanos credits scene to Youtube, so now you can watch the next big-ticket big bad to your heart’s content. My prediction is that he’ll be a plot point in Guardians of the Galaxy.
Have you heard any other interesting tidbits of news/rumours/whatever? Share them below!